Fall 2017 Orientation
Welcome Parents and Families of New Incoming Students!
Your student will take part in an orientation session, learn more about life at Appalachian, and meet with an advisor to map out his or her academic program for the fall semester and beyond. At the same time, you're invited to join your student on campus for a separate Parent Orientation program. You’ll have the opportunity to meet faculty members and administrators, explore Appalachian, and attend sessions covering topics from residence halls to academics to campus life.
When registering, your student must register for Student Orientation first and then parents are able to register for Parent Orientation. Your Parent Orientation registration will automatically populate with the same session dates as your student's Orientation session. (For students attending a 2-day orientation, parents should register for the corresponding 2-day Parent Orientation session. For students attending a 1-day Orientation, parents should register for the corresponding 1-day Parent Orientation session.)
First-year Orientation Date Options (2-day session):
- May 25-26
- June 5-6
- June 12-13
- June 15-16
- June 19-20
- June 22-23
- June 26-27
- June 29-30
- *August 17-18
- *Students should make every effort to attend an earlier Orientation and reserve the August date for others with exceptional circumstances.
- This Parent Orientation Session will be a ONE-DAY session only, on August 17th. Students will attend a 2-day session on August 17-18, but parents will only participate on the first day.
Early College Orientation Date Options (1-day session):
- May 29
- June 2
- June 9
- July 3
- *August 16
*Students should make every effort to attend an earlier Orientation and reserve the August date for others with exceptional circumstances.
- If your student is a first year student from a North Carolina Early College high school, they will be prompted to register for one of our Transfer & Early College Orientation 1-Day sessions. They will be directed to specifically planned Early College sessions related to their first year student needs, while getting the same level of class registration support that we provide for our new transfer students. If you or your student prefer to join us for a traditional 2-day First Year Student session, please email email@example.com with your 2-Day date preference.
Transfer Orientation Date Options (1-day session):
- May 29
- June 2
- June 9
- July 3
- *August 16
* Students should make every effort to attend an earlier Orientation and reserve the August date for others with exceptional circumstances.
The charge for parent orientation includes all orientation materials, parking, and one meal. You do not need to purchase an additional meal unless you have a guest that will be joining you for the meal only (and not any sessions.) *Orientation fees are non-refundable*
- 2-Day Orientation Session fee:
- $60 for the first family member and $40 for the 2nd and each guest after.
- Included meal: BBQ dinner on the evening of Day 1
- 1-Day Orientation Sessions fee:
- $45 for the first family member and $40 for the 2nd and each guest after.
- Included meal: Lunch
*We offer vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options in all of our dining facilities and at our BBQ dinner. If you have any dietary concerns, please let our staff know in advance so we can accommodate your request*
Planning for your Parent session (Schedules, what to bring, parking, etc.)
Student Orientation will help your student explore Appalachian's academic and social life and assist your child with their transition to our campus. Advisors will help them plan a program of study specific to their needs, skills and interests. In addition, students can meet with professors in their area of interest and, of course, other new students. All new students, freshmen and transfer students, are required to attend Orientation.
- Planning for your First Year Student session (what to bring, costs, etc.)
- Planning for your Early College First Year session (what to bring, costs, etc.)
- Planning for your Transfer Student session (what to bring, costs, etc.)
Planning for your Parent Session (what to bring, parking, etc.).
Need help finding your student’s Banner ID number? Your student should be able to provide it to you by logging into their MyApp Portal. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Office of Admissions at 828-262-2120.